Confirmation Year 1 – 6th Grade Youth in this class will dig deeper into the Bible by discovering who wrote it, understanding the time line of when it was written and why different books were included or excluded. 6th, 7th, & 8th graders come together for a Fall Service Retreat each fall at one of our Illinois UCC Conference camps.Confirmation is available during the 10:30 am service mid-September-May. For more information, contact Catherine Curtis, (630.469.3096 X 23) Director of Christian Education.
Confirmation Year 2 – 7th Grade This year encompasses exploration and faith seeking as youth learn about stories, texts and traditions that pre-date Christianity. Youth deepen their familiarity with the Hebrew scriptures and examine relationships between Christianity and other faith traditions. 6th, 7th, & 8th graders come together for a Fall Service Retreat each fall at one of our Illinois UCC Conference camps. Confirmation is available during the 10:30 am service mid-September-May. For more information, contact Catherine Curtis, (630.469.3096 X 23) Director of Christian Education.
Confirmation Year 3 – 8th Grade In the final year of our Confirmation program, youth will prepare for church membership by exploring the Christian story, learning about the United Church of Christ and discerning what they believe. Each Confirmand is required to select a sponsor who will help guide them through the nine-month process. The program requires a high level of commitment from class members, their families and sponsors. 6th, 7th, & 8th graders come together for a Fall Service Retreat each fall at one of our Illinois UCC Conference camps.Confirmation is available during the 10:30 am service mid-September-May. For more information, contact Catherine Curtis, (630.460.3096 X 23) Director of Christian Education.
8th Grade Make-up Lessons
- 2017-9-17 – No Make-up
- 2017-9-17 – Confirmand & Sponsor Orientation Activity Sheet
- 2017-9-24 – “Sacred Stories” Make-up
- 2017-10-1 – No Make-up lesson/No Class due to All Ages Worship & Communion
- 2017-10-8 – No Make-up lesson/No Class due to Jr Hi Fall Work Retreat
- 2017-10-15 – No Make-up lesson due to Heifer Market
- 2017-10-22 – “Claiming & Proclaiming our Christianity” MAKE-UP
- 2017-10-29 – “Church Visits: How to be a Guest”
- 2017-11-5 – No Make-up lesson/No Class due to All Ages Worship & Communion
- 2017-11-12 – “God & Holiness” MAKE-UP Lesson and accompanying Female Imagery of God slideshow
- 2017-11-19 – “Jesus: Messiah” MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2017-11-26 – No Make-up lesson/No Class due to Thanksgiving weekend
- 2017-12-3 – 2017-12-3 Holy Spirit MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2017-12-10 – No Make-up lesson/No Class due to Joyful Noise Christmas Cantata
- 2017-12-17 – 2017-12-17 – Gospels MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2017-12-24 – No Make-up lesson/No class due to Christmas Eve worship
- 2017-12-31 – No Make-up lesson/No Class
- 2018-1-7 – No Make-up lesson/No Class due to All Ages Worship & Communion
- 2018-2-25 – The Reformation MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2018-2-18 – cancelled visit to St. Joseph Orthodox – FCCGE Worship Activity Sheet
- 2018-2-11 – Early Church Councils MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2018-2-4 – No Make-up Lesson/No class
- 2018-1-28 – Personal Jesus MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2018-1-21 – Revelation & the Day of the Lord – MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2018-1-14 – Apostle Paul MAKE-UP Lesson
- 2018-3-18 – “Christian Ethics” MAKE-UP Lesson
Junior High Youth Fellowship is for youth in 6th, 7th and 8th grades. In the midst of the transition, growth and just plain silliness of the junior high years, we intentionally make space for moments of true communion, where each of us–in the beauty of God’s diversity–comes together to play and to affirm one another. This is what makes youth fellowship different from school and other activities…Junior High Youth Fellowship encourages a community of care and respect that is open and vulnerable to real feelings and experiences, where it doesn’t matter who’s friends with whom, or what you’re supposed to say or not to say.It’s not necessary for a student to be attending FCCGE church school or be part of a family that worships here. It is also possible to join during the school year. We welcome any student at any time.For more details, contact Rev. Kendra Joyner Miller, (630.469.3096 X 11) Associate Minister Jr Hi Youth Fellowship Schedule 2018-19
Jr. High Singers, directed by Jeff Haeger, Associate for Music Ministry, includes boys and girls 6th – 8th grades. There are opportunities to perform throughout the year, rehearsing on an occasional basis. The kids sing fun, inspirational, age-appropriate music which promotes good singing skills and a love of music.
The Handbell Choir, directed by Matthew Prins, performs several times throughout the year for worship services. This group is open to youth (beginning 6th grade) through adults. No ringing experience is required. The group rehearses every Tuesday evening from 7:45 – 9:00.
ACTIVITIES & EVENTS – IMPORTANT DATES
Christmas Eve Children’s Pageant Register your child or youth as a pageant “player” for the 2018 Christmas Eve pageant. A traditional presentation: children act out the story of Christ’s birth as a narrator reads from the Gospel of Luke. The pageant will be presented at the 9:30 am Christmas Eve Service this year.
Tower Hill Family Camp July 12-15, 2019 Join us for a fantastic weekend of family fun at UCC Tower Hill Camp in Sawyer, Michigan. Families choose to either camp or lodge and can enjoy swimming, playing in the sand, climbing the dunes, star gazing and time with family and friends. Contact David Crane.
Our Whole Lives February 28-March 2, 2019 For the past 7 years, FCCGE has provided our 7th – 12th grade youth the opportunity to study human sexuality using the life-span comprehensive resource of Our Whole Lives, which provides information that is age-appropriate, medically-accurate, immediately relevant and also applicable for later life. The Our Whole Lives ministry emphasizes and underscores the values of love, mutuality, self-worth, health, responsibility, justice and inclusivity and is taught by trained and certified staff and lay leaders of our congregation. Our Whole Lives is open to youth from 7th – 12th grades, both to youth from our congregation and youth who are friends of the church. Please contact Rev. Kendra Joyner Miller, (630.469.3096 X 11) Associate Minister or Catherine Curtis, (630.469.3096 X 23) Director of Christian Education. Want even more information from the wider UCC? Click here.
Fall Retreat October 12-14,2018 Join us in the Fall when we spruce up our beautiful Tower Hill UCC Camp. It’s a weekend of fun and fellowship among the season’s changing colors for 7th and 8th graders. Watch for online registration Fall 2018.